- 5 cups curly kale and mustard green leaves, torn into small pieces
- 2 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced on the bias
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon brown rice vinegar
- Sea salt and coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 tart apple
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts, chopped and toasted
- 1/4 cup pecorino romano or parmesan, shaved with a vegetable peeler
1. In a large bowl, combine the kale, mustard greens, scallions, olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Mix with your hands to really blend the dressing and rub it into the greens. Let the salad sit while you prepare the rest.
2. Core the apple. I like to do this with a melon baller. Thinly — like, super thinly — slice the two halves from stem to flower end. If you have a mandoline, that’s the easiest way to go. Add the apples to the salad and gently fold together so they don’t break in half.
3. Taste and adjust seasonings.
4. Spread the salad on a platter. Sprinkle with the hazelnuts and cheese shavings.
**Photo and recipe courtesy of food52.com