- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 lb Golden Delicious Apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 head green or red cabbage, quartered, cored, and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/2 cup chicken broth, plus extra as needed
In a large frying pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onions, apples, thyme, and bay leaf and season with salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and golden, about 6 minutes.
Add the cabbage and the 1/2 cup chicken broth, season with salt, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and cover. Cook, stirring often, until the cabbage is tender, 15-20 minutes. If the pan starts to dry out, add a little broth. Serve right away or cover and keep warm in a low oven until ready to serve.
Braised cabbage is a nice accompaniment to roasted meats such as pork chops.
*Recipe and photo courtesy of Willams-Sonoma’s Cooking from the farmers’ market