Ingredients for Casserole:
- 5 medium-to-large sweet potatoes
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs, beaten well
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Ingredients for Streusel Topping:
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed [You could also use dark brown sugar instead.]
- 1/3 cup (about 5 1/2 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped pecans
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place sweet potatoes on a foil-lined sheet pan and pierce each several times with the tines of a fork. Bake for 1 hour, or until the potatoes are tender. Allow to cool to the touch, then peel and mash well in a bowl.
Decrease oven temperature to 350 degrees.
Make streusel topping: Blend brown sugar, butter, flour, and chopped pecans together with a pastry blender or fork. Set aside.
Mix mashed sweet potatoes with sugar, eggs, butter, and vanilla. Pour into a 9 x 9 inch lightly greased casserole dish. Sprinkle sweet potato mixture with the streusel topping, as much as your heart desires.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, or until the casserole is set.
Note: The casserole can be prepared up to 24 hours in advance. Pour the prepared sweet potatoes into a tightly-covered dish, but do not add the topping. When ready to bake, pour into the casserole dish and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. Top with struesel and bake as directed.
Photo and recipe courtesy of merrygourmet.com