- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup coarsely chopped carrots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 4 cups coarsely chopped fresh kale (about 8 ounces)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1-1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken (about 8 ounces)
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup dry red lentils*
Coat an unheated large nonstick saucepan with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat over medium-low heat. Add onion, carrots, and garlic to hot saucepan. Cover and cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until vegetables are nearly tender, stirring occasionally.
Add chicken broth and dried basil (if using) to vegetable mixture. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in kale, salt, and pepper. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
Stir in chicken, tomato, red lentils, and fresh basil (if using). Cover and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes more or until kale and lentils are tender. Makes 6 servings.
*NOTE: If you wish to substitute brown or yellow lentils for the red lentils, you’ll need to increase the cooking time. Check the package directions for cooking times and add the lentils in Step 2.
*All materials courtesy of bhg.com