- 1 lb parsnips (about 4 medium)
- 1 lb sweet potatoes
- 1/2 lb carrots
- 1 red onion, halved, sliced lengthwise in strips
- 1 1/2 lb russet (Idaho) potatoes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tsp finely chopped garlic
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Cut out a piece of parchment or wax paper to fit just inside gratin dish, then butter 1 side of parchment. Cover vegetables directly with parchment, buttered side down, then put dish in a shallow baking pan (to catch any drips). Bake until gratin is bubbling all over and vegetables are tender when pierced with a knife, about 50 minutes. Discard parchment.
Just before serving, preheat broiler. Drizzle top of gratin with remaining 2 tablespoons cream and parmesan and broil 4 to 6 inches from heat until browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve hot. May be reheated. Serves 12.